Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Thing #8 & #9 Facebook

OK I've been out on vacation and otherwise occupied lately so I've fallen behind on my postings. So this is me catching up.

Facebook creeps the hell out of me.

No seriously.


The first thing, facebook asked me was if I wanted to be friends with my old gaming buddy, I guy I worked with for several years and my gradschool roommate. How did it know?!? I swear I almost looked behind me. Of course it took a few seconds more before my brain synapses began firing I figured out that it was my e-mail address.

Still it is scarry to think about how much information is out there as public information. It is easy to see why facebook is so popular. It does all of the hard lifting for you.

I'm not really impressed with the facebook groups though. I'm already a member of a yahoo group where I'm able to share information with a tight group of friends. I also am a member of several web boards where I can go to ask or answer questions. I also subscribe to a few RSS feeds to keep up to date on topics I'm interested in. Those types of site seem to me to have far more practical use for my interests.

The Facebook groups on the otherhand seem to me to have have a much higher "noise to signal" ratio to me. I guess I'm just not a online social networking kind of guy. If I want to hang out and talk I'll go see my friends in the flesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment