Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Thing #11 Instant Messaging

The library I work at has used instant messaging for some time now via an online reference chatline. For the most part the service is great but I do have a few reservations about using online messaging in the library environment.

1 - The lack of follow up.
Several times when I've responded to reference questions though instant messages, the patron on the other end has left the program while I was in the midst of an explanation and I have no idea why. Did I already fix the problem? Did something else come up? Did they just give up? The sad thing is that I'll never know if I was helpful at all.

2 - textual communication sucks
As I librarian I rely upon body language, voice tone, facial expressions, etc. to fill me in on what the patron is often unable to express in words. I often find that a 10 second conversation can do what it would take me several e-mails over a week or dozens of instant messages to accomplish.

Still instant messaging is the communication of choice for today's college student. Several librarians here at work have commented on the fact that often times they will find patrons using the chat line even though they are physically sitting less than 10 feet from the librarian on the other end.

No comments:

Post a Comment