Friday, May 22, 2009

Lo, It Begins...

This week my employer informed everyone that all staff members were required to create a Blog as part of an Internet training exercise. This one is mine.

If you have trouble finding it, just remember that it is the 3rd blog on the left.

I suppose I should try and come up with some goals and parameters for the nature of this Blog. Why is this blog here? What purpose does it serve? Hopefully it will be something beyond just "My boss made me do it." Seeing as this Blog has it's origins with my place of employment perhaps I should start there.

I'm a profession librarian and I've been a professional librarian for over a decade. I worked in the library field for a number of years before that (Hmm, does that mean I was an "unprofessional" librarian for a number of years). So to some extent this Blog should perhaps reflect my chosen profession. However I don't define my life primarily through the fact that I am a librarian. A lot of the stuff I share with friends and co-workers through e-mail has little to nothing to do with libraries. I'd like this blog to reflect those interests I have outside of libraries as well.

I guess this is the part where I come up with some sort mission statement.

OK how about this.

The goal of 3rd Blog on the Left is to hopefully entertain and inform the viewing public.

There! That is significantly vague and toothless enough to be good mission statement.

All kidding aside the mission statement is there to remind me to try and present something that will be of value to those that read it, as opposed to just something I'll get a kick out of.

No comments:

Post a Comment